[tor-talk] REAL-ID Internet Access Coming Soon

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Thu Feb 12 02:20:59 PST 2015

Dnia czwartek, 12 lutego 2015 02:35:03 grarpamp pisze:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
> > On 02/11/2015 13:17, goofyzrnssm at vfemail.net wrote:
> >> If a `REAL-ID Internet Access' law were to gain traction in the U.S., how
> >> would such a law be enforced exactly?
>
> Use your imagination.
>
> > Real ID enforcement would violate people's anonymity rights, which are
> > very
> > well protected in US
> > (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymity#United_States).
>
> We're not talking about books and soapboxing today, class.

Exactly. And remember that mainstream public and politicians see Teh
Intertubes as "something completely different", a "virtual reality" in which
laws and regulations do not apply. This includes any local constitution.

Example: if you had people on post offices opening and reading all mail,
people would revolt; you already have people reading your e-mail, and the
public goes "that's bad, but meh".

People don't see Internet as a tool, which it is. They see it as a new
"domain", new "frontier", in which laws must only be created and human rights
protections do not apply.

That's why I find any "Internet Bills of Rights" as counter-productive. They
promulgate this divided vision and while some might to some extent solve part
of the problems with the Internet, come new communications technology and we
have the very same problem.

Instead of "Internet Bills of Rights" we need to make people and politicians
understand that *the* Bill of Rights already pertains to the Internet.

But I digress.

tl;dr politicians and the general public don't see the anonymity thing the way
you do, the Internet is this scary place full of trolls and "cyberhackers"
that can take down the electric grid on a whim, and the only thing that can
stop them is identifying every connection.

For your security!

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak