Tox.im

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Tue Feb 3 17:03:44 PST 2015

Dnia wtorek, 3 lutego 2015 21:27:03 Juan pisze:
> On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 00:59:06 +0100
>
> rysiek <rysiek at hackerspace.pl> wrote:
> > Problem is, people DIE, NOW, because they use Skype.
>
> 	And the source(s) for that claim is...?

https://about.okhin.fr/posts/Stupid_journos/

Stop killing people, stop using Skype!
A journalists friend of mine pointed me to a news flash from AFP - REF: 29578
DVBP 729 GLN20 (4) AFP (295) , if it means something to you - in which they
killed someone. Or, if it's not the case, he will be killed soon.

Why? First, they used his full name in the text, and the city where he lives.
This is, in essence, like putting a target on his forehead and waiting for
snipers, tanks and/or mortars to kill him.

But worse, they used the infamous malware named Skype to contact him. Besides
the huge privacy issue related to using something that has been 'accidentaly'
deployed in the last Windows Update, it is of public knowledge that Skype is
used as a trojan to identify and hunt activists in Syria. The EFF posted about
it, kaspersky, posted about it, even the original writer of the tool used
inside Skype to deploy the Remote Access Tool has wrote about it along iwth a
removal tool.

So, journalists now knows, for month, that it is dangerous to use Skype. It is
also dangerous to use closed and proprietary software. A lot of people are
telling this for months now and even make propositions to use alternative,
free and decentralized systems, because it is the only way to enforce some
bits of privacy.

Or this (linked within):
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/06/darkshades-rat-and-syrian-malware

Oh, I also appreciate how you're the first to jump in and criticize Tor, but
for some reason you don't really seem to have a problem with Skype. Double
standards much? :)

~~~=:)

--
Pozdrawiam,