Barium Meal Tests

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Sun Feb 1 13:24:54 PST 2015

 > there was this laywer in .no who lost his license because he leaked
 > photos of anders behring brevik to the press. and police watermarked
a set of bait-photos and gave it to the laywers of the families with
 > dead kids. the press made a photo of the pictures, printed the photo
 > in a test news paper, took a photo again, and printed that. So a lot
 > of adc-dac conversions in betweeen. the size also got significantly
 > smaller. yet the watermark was clearly identifiable. it turned out
 > later, that this was some kind of photoshop plugin, which is
 > "primarily for tracking copyright violations"

This is the classic "Barium Meal Test", a highly effective way to find a
mole.

I have been meaning for some time to write a quick pythons script which
implements the Barium Meal Test on plain text, perhaps even in a
distributed way; by making common misspellings, by replacing whitespace
with unicode equivalents (bit too obvious?), by making synonymous
punctuation modifications - a dash rather than a semicolon as in this
sentence couplet, for example.

Part of the idea is to help identify "moles" in follower networks of
"private users" in P2P social networks, when people "retweet" private
messages. If you could divide your followers into groups and give each
group a different barium meal'd message, then after a few "leaks" you'd
be able to identify likely leakers.

The other part was to point out how easy such identifying substitutions
are to make, and to make people acutely aware of the risks involved in
sharing potentially watermarked information.

--
Twitter:  @onetruecathal
Phone: +353876363185