FOIPA adventures

coderman coderman@gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 02:17:23 PST 2015

"you want me to consent to make my FBI file public? Are you fucking mad?"
 - https://twitter.com/thegrugq/status/563036665837789184

---

i am currently making requests through MuckRock.com which i recommend
for their helpful and dedicated staff, as well as their time devoted
to review and reporting on released information.

i am using the professional service, which lets you set requests
private until reviewed and ready to release publicly.  this implies a
bit of trust in MuckRock, and i hope it is not misplaced.

few years back i asked for participants in a similar effort. some
things resulted:

1) this also opens up the requester to risk; that is, whoever is
filing must also potentially show some trust, if a falsified DOJ-361
is sent and used as pretext to "deter" you.  i have not heard of this
actually happening, but i was also not willing to push it.

  '''beware who you accept, coder,
    or they're setting you up for USC 18 fuckery.
    sure, it may in the end be ok.
      but you're in misery until cleared.''''

2) the information is going to be public; if you've got a file because
you're a privacy enthusiast, then filing to make your file public is
the opposite of enjoying your privacy.  there is merit in taking one
for team earth human, however...

---

as a first report, deliveries of USPS forms DOJ-361 to multiple, and a
batch of three sent concurrently.  two arrived promptly, but one got
scrutiny before leaving town (forms to FBI, perhaps related to ? :)

a) INTERPOL Washington FOIA Service Center
(202)-616-0201
U.S. Department of Justice
Washington, D.C. 20530
---
Form DOJ-361 sent, currently:
February 4, 2015 , 11:41 pm - Arrived at USPS Facility - WASHINGTON, DC 20066
Tracking Number: 9405510200829494303833

b) U.S. Department of Justice
United States Marshals Service
Office of General Counsel
Washington, DC 20530-1000
---
Form DOJ-361 sent, currently:
February 4, 2015 , 11:40 pm - Arrived at USPS Facility - WASHINGTON, DC 20066
"Your item arrived at our USPS facility in WASHINGTON, DC 20066 on
February 4, 2015 at 11:40 pm. The item is currently in transit to the
destination."
Tracking Number: 9405510200830593742348

c) Record/Information Dissemination Section (RIDS)
FBI-Records Management Division
170 Marcel Drive, Winchester, VA 22602-4843
---
Form DOJ-361 sent, currently:
February 3, 2015 , 6:15 pm - Arrived at USPS Origin Facility -
PORTLAND, OR 97218
"Your item arrived at our USPS origin facility in PORTLAND, OR 97218
on February 3, 2015 at 6:15 pm. The item is currently in transit to
the destination."
Tracking Number: 9405510200828494428195
 [ i offered to send via FAX if mail was problematic and excessively latent. ]