[ PFIR ] The "Sharing Economy" Is the Problem

juan juan.g71 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 16:05:11 PST 2015

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 20:54:10 +0000
Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:

> Perhaps this is worth discussion.
>
> Are AirBnB, Uber and Homejoy examples of political anarchism
> (degenerate or otherwise)?

	AiBnB and Uber are centralized middlemen - though the fact that
	uber goes against the privileges of the taxi mafia is an
	example of a freer market at work - at least in some limited
	fashion.

	On the other hand the 'market' is wholly owned by the middleman
	and the potential for abuse (assuming airbnb is not already the
	NSA) is...big.

	I suppose the anarchist version would exist as a p2p network,
	for starters. Haven't the cypherpunks already coded a bunch of
	those decentralized, censorship resistant, anonymous, bla bla
	bla systems?

	Anyway, I think couchsurfing is closer to anarchism than uber
	or airbnb (though the platform is just as centralized).

> Are we seeing the ultimate in self responsibility (I would say self
> responsibility is a good thing)?
>
> How might we embrace such self responsibility, whilst also manifesting
> collective empathy/ shared 'responsibility' (perhaps there's a better
> term here)?
>
> Is Lauren Weinstein with his indenting style actually Juan in
> disguise?

	Well...this is something I wouldn't  say :

	" companies are stripping away worker protections, pushing down
	wages, and flouting government regulations"

	While I do think that airbnb and the like are more
	sophisticated forms of corporatism (not a free market), I
	wouldn't suggest that they are the only bad guys in town and
	that 'progressive' statists are the good guys who protect
	'workers' with 'regulations'.