[cryptography] Paris Attacks Blamed on Strong Cryptography and Edward Snowden

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Tue Dec 1 01:51:30 PST 2015

Dnia wtorek, 1 grudnia 2015 00:19:22 dan at geer.org pisze:
> In dealing with high level decision makers, the best strategy is
> always to provide three options and have the decision maker choose
> amongst them.  Taking the American electorate as that high level
> decision maker, I would find it refreshing were Brennan to present
> said electorate with the choice between [1] content analysis (hence
> crypto side doors and the exposure of content), [2] traffic analysis
> (hence data retention at a level heretofore unseen and the cataloged
> exposure of real social networks), and [3] a willing resolve to tolerate
> the occasional terrorist success.  It is a choice amongst losses.

Aww, but you assume that these are three mutually exclusive options. That's
quaint, seeing how right now we have [1] *and* [2] *and still* we have to
tolerate occasional terrorist success (that being [3]).

So the way I look at this is: unless it can be *proven* to me that [1] or [2]
will significantly lower the occurence rate of [3], they should not even be
considered valid options.

Once somebody does prove that [1] or [2] actually do significantly lower the
occurence late of [3], then and *only* then can we have informed debate about
them, taking into account tangible and intangible costs of implementing them.

In which case we still have to remember that [3] will always be there, from
time to time.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak