Standard Operating Procedure 303

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 13:29:46 PST 2015

On 12/28/15, Rayzer <Rayzer at riseup.net> wrote:
> I have this discussion with local social activists quite a bit. The
> 'roles/titles and position' ARE the important thing. The names change.
> Structure doesn't.

Sssh, you're not helping my FOIA  :P

> ... There's a local houseless person's 'activist' around
> here that still writes leaflets containing info about how a cop that
> hasn't been on the force for two years now abused people. Most of the
> homeless people reading it then file it in the nearest trashcan.

in Portland this manifested as training, tactics, and procedures used
during interaction with the public.

before reform, above average rates of lethal force,
 above average rates of mentally ill dying in custody.

reform changed:
- point of command and control into single individual in all
interactions. no longer would confusing, conflicting commands be given
by more than one officer - only one takes point in communication.
- prioritizing identification and de-escalation of mental illness or
drug crisis - trained professionals immediately take-over or
dispatched, rather than ignorant escalations leading to lethal force.
- training to make habit the use oft less lethal options, before
applying lethal force.
- a focus on service to the public, rather than enforcement upon
lawbreakers. mindset makes a difference!
- [ some other, lesser improvements. ]

by changing the system that was flawed, a significant improvement in
the outcomes for everyone - regardless of who specifically was on the
force at the time, or what specific officers were engaging during
wrongdoing or excessive use of force.

machine learning systems are great at identifying sick systems, by the
way. they leaves copious tells...

best regards,