A good way to spur adoption of strong cryptography and security

Troy Benjegerdes hozer at hozed.org
Fri Dec 25 22:14:23 PST 2015

On Fri, Dec 25, 2015 at 02:43:39AM -0800, Ryan Carboni wrote:
> Most consumer routers and modems are outdated, and use firmware that's
> never or rarely updated.
>
> It would be trivial to hack into any such devices used by government
> employees at home and correlate the user to a database to gather additional
> information on them.
>
> Can foreign governments still teach blackmailed government employees how to
> pass a polygraph?
>
> Seems like counterintelligence investigations now need to include labor
> intensive firmware dumps of routers.
>
> Not like the government accomplishes anything good nowadays anyway.

Not true, Governments provide a great deal of return on investment for
lobbyists, and some of this *cough* economic growth *cough* ends up
in your retirement funds! This is 'good' if you like growth, right?

Now you give me an idea, how about we automate router firmware dumps,
and start providing free wifi for campaign staffers in collaboration
with www.ngpvan.com

If you are going to run a good political campaign in the digital
world, you need to start with a router firmware dump...