Assange believes too late for any pervasive privacy

Shelley shelley at misanthropia.org
Fri Dec 11 11:49:04 PST 2015

On December 11, 2015 10:10:21 AM Steve Kinney <admin at pilobilus.net> wrote:

> The power to give and withhold permission for others to see you
> varies with circumstances.

> you are "in the game" whether you
> want to be or not;

True, unfortunately.

>the only alternative is to isolate yourself
> from resources native to the privacy-hostile environment.

False.

Offense is often one of the best defenses.  Just one example: the data
scraping and collating scum like Intellius and their ilk, from whose talons
we cannot escape.  In such cases, it is better to pollute their data pool
with garbage so it is of little value to them and we retain privacy by
obfuscation. I've made sure that Intellius alone has three different
profiles on me including varying ages, birthdates and backgrounds, and good
luck to the marketing and profiling scum in discerning which - if any - is
the real one.

>The practical
> advantages of participating in the networked world far outweigh
> the perceived and, possibly, the actual harm from "loss of
> privacy."  Only a few atypical individuals will be able to manage
> their affairs so that the advantages of "strong privacy
> protections" outweigh the costs of compensating for lost access to
> resources.

I find absolutely no benefit in allowing Fuckerberg's empire of suck to
acquire my data, so I prevent it in every way possible.  I don't use Google
anything, but I know my emails get indexed and data-raped when I'm forced
to correspond with people who use their "free" gmail.  There is no way to
avoid every avenue of privacy violation, but it is possible to minimize it
and not make it easy for the bastards.

>Those Old Farts were early adopters, because
> they happened to take an unnatural interest in computers.  So a
> large faction among them are capable of understanding and
> implementing network security and making rational decisions about
> disclosures of their activities and data to 3rd parties.

Yes, and we know there is no closing the door after the data has gotten out
so it is best to restrict and control access as best we can.

> These folks, and the few /honest/ professionals in related fields,
> are the only thing that keeps the Internet from clogging up with
> shit from end to end and falling apart.  Well, at least we have
> mostly kept it from falling apart.

We're not doing a very good job, I fear.  But I live so much of my life
online, (which is why I am fiercely protective of my right to control my
PII when I see fit), I'm not going to acquiescence to zero-privacy as the
norm just because "everyone else is doing it."  There are billions of
people on this planet who believe in nonsensical things; it surely doesn't
make them right.

-S