Movie about aaron swartz can use some funding on kickstarter

Cecilia Tanaka cecilia.tanaka at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 20:00:19 PST 2015

https://t.co/ez7TA06XyV Link to Trailer: https://t.co/py6W00LmWs
----

>From my friend Lisa, sent few days ago...  <3

****

Hope you are well! Been a long time :-)

I'm making movies to teach the world more about Aaron Swartz and to help
the public better understand whistleblowers and whistleblower upload
systems.

I wanted to let you know about my little Kickstarter campaign for a movie I
am producing independently, "From DeadDrop to SecureDrop" - it's about
"SecureDrop," an anonymous upload system for whistleblowers that Aaron
prototyped with Kevin Poulsen, one month before his death, that connects
directly to news organizations (such as the Washington Post, Forbes, and
The New Yorker):

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/261957173/from-deaddrop-to-securedrop

Here's a Tweet about it, if you're short on time:

Please help fund "From DeadDrop to SecureDrop" and help more potential
Whistleblowers learn about @SecureDrop http://bit.ly/SDrop

I'm including a description of the project below! It's only going on for 4
more days, and I only have about $5,000 of the $20,000 I'm trying to raise,
so any help -- or also Tweets and social media love would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Much love,

lisa

The film is entitled "From DeadDrop to SecureDrop," and provides a
historical account of how the "SecureDrop" open source anonymous
whistleblowing submission platform was originally prototyped by Kevin
Poulsen and Aaron Swartz, and later, after Aaron's death, how it made its
way its current home at the Freedom of the Press Foundation.

People in the film (so far) include: Wired's Kevin Poulsen (how he was
inspired by WikiLeaks and then convinced Aaron to work with him on the
project), Trevor Timm and John Perry Barlow (of the Freedom of the Press
Foundation), who sought out the DeadDrop prototype, Garrett Robinson
(SecureDrop's current Development Lead) and Bill Budington (an EFF engineer
who worked directly on the early codebase), and some influential figures
familiar with the issues, such as Brewster Kahle (Founder of the Internet
Archive and co-founder, with myself, of Aaron Swartz Day) and Cindy Cohn
(Executive Director of the Electronic Frontier Foundation). I also
interviewed Virgil Griffith (Tor2Web and Wikiscanner), as he and Aaron were
good friends and worked on Tor2Web together.

Jacob Applebaum has agreed to be interviewed for the film. (Besides being a
WikiLeaks volunteer, he was good friends with Aaron.) Also, Sarah Harrison,
who stood by Edward Snowden's side in Hong Kong and the Moscow airport, and
assisted with getting him safe asylum in Russia, has agreed to be in the
film!

After learning more about whistleblower Chelsea Manning (in the course of
my preparing to read her statement during my live Aaron Swartz Day event)
video: https://youtu.be/qle9UvJGdYg?t=1h23m33s statement:
http://www.aaronswartzday.org/chelsea-manning-2015/)...

I came to realize that the film really needs to expand beyond the subject
of the SecureDrop technology itself, to attempt to explain *why* these
whistleblowers might decide to use WikiLeaks or SecureDrop to expose
corruption in the first place: To inform the public and make the world a
better place. I realize this sounds simple and obvious, but I don't think
that most people are actually aware of this. Here's a post explaining how
Ed Snowden chose the Constitution over a Non-Disclosure agreement, when he
decided to blow the whistle: http://www.aaronswartzday.org/snowden-oath/

A third theme of the movie deals directly with an observation made by more
than one of the people I interviewed for the film, about how SecureDrop
will "help the next Ed Snowden" communicate with Journalists safely (so no
one will have to go through what he went through, just to get a story out).

The film suggests that SecureDrop could potentially usher in a new
generation of whistleblower: One that won't necessarily have to put their
whole life at risk, in order to "do the right thing."

Lisa Rein

http://www.aaronswartzday.org