Named Data Networking

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Sat Dec 5 10:41:38 PST 2015

Does anyone here have a grounded opinion about NDN (Named Data
Networking)?  If that's as new to you as to me, I'm reading here:

http://named-data.net

It seems to have a lot of implications that I'm trying to think
through, not the least of which is the idea that the Internet can
and must evolve from an end-to-end communication system to being,
itself, a content distribution network.  The reason for thinking
this way is that "YouTube, Netflix, Amazon, iTunes, etc., account
for more than half of the world's internet traffic" and that reality
"is inefficient and unsecure because the information-centric overlay
is a poor match to the Internet's conversationally-oriented underlay."

I am, myself, perpetually sceptical of efforts to start over, or
to put policy into the network itself, such as NDN's aim to make
every transmitted packet be signed and to make the network stateful
including providing in-network memory.  As always, "Who is this for?"
needs an answer that looks well ahead.

--dan