Privacy advocates resign over facial recognition plans

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Thu Aug 13 03:57:11 PDT 2015

On 13/08/15 08:58, Jason McVetta wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Cari Machet <carimachet at gmail.com
> <mailto:carimachet at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     some irish and NATIVE AMERICAN
>
> Me too.  Welcome to the club!

This all makes it sound like the Irish bit is above racism, a privileged
"white person" class that's never had any negative discrimination.

Back in the golden days of the British Empire there were academic
discussions on how the Irish constituted a different sub-species of
lesser humanity. Racism hasn't always been about skin colour, and still
isn't.

Irish might have it somewhat easier today (but prejudices remain), but
racism of all kinds, including anti-"white" (what the fuck is "White"?
What the fuck is "Black"?), is just more of the same stupidity.

Newsflash; the genetic diversity within any given "racial" population
you choose is *far* greater than the miniscule genetic differences that
define the characteristics we call "race". There is no such thing as
"race" except that which we create in our monkey heads.

--
Scientific Director, IndieBio EU Programme
  Now running in Cork, Ireland May->July