Open Fabs

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Sun Aug 2 08:54:37 PDT 2015

We will not get 50% of the population to use semi-good-crypto. Far more
than that just do not give any damns at all.

Legal protection for those that make insecure shit is so huge that society
is literally stacked against privacy as a whole. The "protected-consumer"
culture has led to widespread market failure - rather than think people buy
with their hearts. Simply put, "Think Different" turned into "Don't think
at all".

That said, I don't see why there's no company attempting to address the
niche of "I want it truly secure". Wouldn't governments like if the US
doesn't spy on them? Wouldn't large companies' officers be very happy with
a secure e-mail/voice call system?

If it runs Android apps (protip: Android's JVM is open source) in a more
secure manner (like, uhm, in-hardware-sandboxing? Libre Hypervisor CPU with
the OS on it, and a jailed EvilCorp coprocessor that does the Android
stuff?) it doesn't seem to take that much to build a smartphone nowadays
(looking at Chinaphones, that is).

And, many of the people that want it "truly secure" will understand that
the products will cost more than a mass-produced NSA sponsored unit.