Brothers at Arms: Jeb Bush says no to crypto

grarpamp grarpamp@gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 15:06:50 PDT 2015

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/08/19/jeb-bush-comes-encryption/

Jeb Bush Comes Out Against Encryption

Jenna McLaughlin

Aug. 19 2015, 3:40 p.m.
Getty Images

Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush said Tuesday that
encryption makes it harder for law enforcement to track down
“evildoers” — and called for a “much better, more cooperative
relationship” with Apple, Google, and other tech companies that are
building uncrackable private communication apps into their new
products.

“If you create encryption, it makes it harder for the American
government to do its job — while protecting civil liberties — to make
sure that evildoers aren’t in our midst,” Bush said in South Carolina
at an event sponsored by Americans for Peace, Prosperity, and
Security, a group with close ties to military contractors.

Bush said, “We need to find a new arrangement with Silicon Valley in
this regard because I think this is a very dangerous kind of
situation.”

But when the event moderator, former CNN anchor Jeanne Meserve,
brought up scientists’ conclusions that giving law enforcement special
access to communications also gives hackers more access, Bush didn’t
explain his position any further.

“Good point, except we ought to have much more cooperation when it
comes to cybersecurity,” he said.