so called onion routing

Juan juan.g71@gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 16:29:52 PDT 2015

http://www.onion-router.net/History.html

1995:
Initial work on Onion Routing begins, funded by ONR.

http://cypherpunks.venona.com/

grep onion cyp-1993.txt

# For example, Eric Messick calls his things "onions," suggesting
multiple

"(For example, Eric Messick calls his things "onions," suggesting
multiple layers of "return postage guaranteed" envelopes. This may be
a great idea, and even a great name (which we may all be using in 5
years),"

Also, the idea of multiple, nested, encrpyted 'envelopes' that contain
routing information is routinely mentioned at that time, if I'm not
mistaken.