How are the Baltimore riots going?

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Thu Apr 30 17:57:59 PDT 2015

Georgi Guninski wrote:
> How are the Baltimore riots going?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Baltimore_riots
>
>> Mandatory curfew effective April 28 – May 5 from 10pm-5am

Aloha from Baltimore,

   The protests have been peaceful of late, and actually fairly peaceful
overall.  The police, however, have not been.  Despite claiming to be
basically terrified of black people congregating in large groups,
Baltimore cops killed another unarmed man two days ago.  Earlier this
week, I got trapped in DC overnight due to the curfew, and last night my
boyfriend got trapped at my place despite living a block away.  I've got
video of a hundred or so soldiers marching through the streets near the
train station as the curfew takes effect (out of hundreds that did so).

   Last night, my kid sister had to come home at 10:10 and it was the
first time that I've been worried about her safety since she's lived
with me.  Because she's a minor, the curfew means that she's not even
legally allowed outside for any reason without me present [0].  Not to
go to a friend's house, or to grab a cup of coffee, or to volunteer.
Because I'm her guardian, I of course have given her permission to do
all of those things because Fuck That Noise [1].  But we're also about
to make our exit because living under helicopter noise with cops driving
around in vehicles that have gun turrets on them is not great for the
psyche, and no kid should have to live in that environment.

~Griffin

[0] kids these days with their skinny jeans and their police state
[1] one of the many benefits of having a weird-hair hacker for a parent

--
“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”
― Dr. Seuss