Raspberry pi safe?

Cathal (Phone) cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Wed Apr 15 02:05:30 PDT 2015

The SOC in a raspi is probably no worse than the rest, but consider that the natural entropy available (for Crypto) to a SOC is much lower than a multi-component system like a laptop or tower. The Raspi 1.xx has an onboard entropy chip you can enable, if you trust it, and there'll be a new device in /dev you can read raw entropy from. Write that to /dev/random to seed the system pool and use /dev/urandom as your actual source.

Personally I'd draw from several sources to feed /dev/random: an internal hash-chain (quick Python script) (re)seeded on a password and urandom periodically, the hardware entropy generator, Ubuntu's seed server.. don't trust one source, mash them up once a minute/hour and feed them to /dev/random.