Covert wireless (was: A crowdfunding campaign to build a free baseband)

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 11:42:18 PDT 2015

On 4/10/15, wirelesswarrior at safe-mail.net <wirelesswarrior at safe-mail.net> wrote:
> Mainly price and frequency coverage. Since my interest is mainly on apps
> that require transmitting I did not focus on receviers. Starting at twice
> the HackRF's cost the USRPs are a best buy at the low end.
> The HackRF's weakness main weakness is its 8-bit ADC and lack of
> pre-selector to limit strong out-of-band input signals and reduce
> out-of-band transmiter spurs.

i like the USRP(n series), Pervices (noctar/crimson), BladeRF. you're
right about price. cost quickly becomes significant!

antennas and front-ends can help a modest radio be better, and here
too a dearth of good DIY information...

and sadly, power consumption is going to come home to roost before
these go mobile. might have to wait for direction conversion circuits
before SDR can be tiny, portable, efficient?  i am sadly short of
solutions, only full of more questions and complaints :)