Warrant Canaries

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Wed Apr 1 10:34:07 PDT 2015

>  Since the First Amendment is strained here, reasonable people could
> conclude that the conflicting law is unconstitutional.  That could lead to
> a sense of responsibility to do the right thing.

What's this First Amendment thing that I have absolutely no protection
from? Oh, right, something American! Geez, don't you Americans realize the
constitution is something of a moral code that you should uphold in law and
practice, with force (hint: guns, militia's) if need be?

Anyway, again, unless you're one of the fortuitous/doomed 322 million
people that have a US citizenship this grants NO PROTECTION AT ALL EVER.
Not even when in the US or whilst using a US service. FISA and "National
Security Letters" prove the threadbare legal holdfasts snapped ages ago
anyway. I would swear there was something compelling the people to revolt
when the government acts against the people/the public's interests, but I
cannot find it now. Filter bubble or a lively imagination, who knows what
to blame.

works... IF EVERYONE cooperates to flaunt, flaut, and disregard it.
> Could you IMAGINE the gubmint trying to take every internet provider and
> major website operating in the US to court?
> Shut down Twitter and Yahoo!'s US ops?
> Really!

Have you heard of "punitive punishment"? Do you know the percentage of
people breaking the Computer Fraud Act? What about Copyright? How many
people have been selectively convicted of drug use? (bonus points for
racial profiling!)

Simply put: oh no, you are so, so very wrong.

But then, one simply doesn't do business in Australia that needs warrant
> canaries. What am I missing?

Uhh.. What?...