Warrant Canaries

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Wed Apr 1 07:33:49 PDT 2015

> Am I missing something here?  Is the idea to get everyone flouting the
> law and thereby render it ineffectual, or is it just April Fools?

This is not how law works. If you break the law, but so does everybody,
that's great for the police and whomever with them. It means that at any
time "they" like you can get picked up and jailed, legally.

Breaking a law everyone breaks is like giving the government a "send me to
jail"-freecard. The government does not really mind getting those
freecards, of course. Hence the bulk of outrageous laws.