Surveillance forces journalists to think and act like spies

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 11:40:15 PDT 2015

On 4/30/15, dan at geer.org <dan at geer.org> wrote:
> The advance of technology seems to be making everyone like spies
> and so forth.

you see cyber as dual use. does same apply to spy?
 ( gotta know side channels to close the side channels ... )

> Hal Varian somewhat famously said that what the
> rich have today everyone will want tomorrow.  I'd suggest that
> what the intelligence community has today the rich will want
> tomorrow.

and the hacker has today?

bespoke a powerful antidote to pre-enabled CUSTOMS interdicted shady
shipped consumer computer and network technology. Cisco shipping
slapstick[0] is fooling nobody :)

>  While some like to say that the cure for objectionable
> (to them) speech is more speech (by them), that does not hold true
> so much in the wider world where I have concluded that the cure for
> technologic threats is not more technology, but less.

where is the robustness of decentralized in this picture Dan? we
advocate end-to-end for privacy, why no less true for end to end at
every peer in the graph?

 [ ignore the many billion dollar business models for sake of
argument, and consider long investment decentralized technology
alternatives. though market alone may determine the fate full enough,
...]

just because it is difficult and novel, it need not be foolhardy.

best regards, with anticipation to your future word
 and cryptome++ for http://geer.tinho.net/geer.rsa.28ii14.txt re-up :P

0. "Cisco posts kit to empty houses to dodge NSA chop shops - Kit sent
to SmallCo of Nowheresville to avoid NSA interception profiles"
  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/03/18/want_to_dodge_nsa_supply_chain_taps_ask_cisco_for_a_dead_drop/