Crypto Projects that Might not Suck

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Sat Apr 11 03:40:04 PDT 2015

Dnia sobota, 11 kwietnia 2015 11:39:42 piszesz:
> > Also, Tox seems in order, too.
>
> are these claims verified?

By briefly looking at the code and not finding any obvious WTFs. Sadly, that's
a lot more than most crypto snakeoil stuff can offer these days...

Obviously it would be great to have a proper audit of Tox's code, and to have
the protocol properly defined, but as far as seven rules of snakoil are
concerned:

 - it is free software
 - doesn't run in the browser
 - the user generates and exclusively owns the private encryption key
 - does not use marketing-terminology like "cyber", "military-grade"

While the threat model isn't explicitly defined, I think it is pretty clear --
threat being eavesdropping on communication *in transit*; it does not provide
anonymity, nor does it promise to do so. It implements forward secrecy, and by
default does not save conversation logs.

Now:
 - there are experimental versions for Android and Jolla (and possibly other
   smartphones); but hey, there are GnuPG and OTR clients for those platforms
   too;
 - one might say that it neglects general sad state of host security pretty
   much in the same way as OTR or GnuPG do.

So, for a list of crypto projects that *MIGHT* not suck, I think it's worth a
look and/or mention.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak