Covert wireless (was: A crowdfunding campaign to build a free baseband)

wirelesswarrior at Safe-mail.net wirelesswarrior at Safe-mail.net
Fri Apr 10 10:17:07 PDT 2015

"The device in your purse or jeans that you think is a cellphone — guess again. It is a tracking device that happens to make calls. Let’s stop calling them phones. They are trackers."

https://www.propublica.org/article/thats-no-phone.-thats-my-tracker

SF,

Most mobile phone users (like most citizens) are more than willing to sacrifice their privacy for convenience, socializing and entertainment. Educating them and changing their behaviours will, in the long run, probably bring the most benefits. Cypherpunks have been rather poor at this. A sucessful multiplayer game, requiring the use of criminal/spy/intel tradecraft and security tools, would be a great first step. Once these players integrate these tools and skills into their daily lives and pressure friends and family to do likewise it could prove insideous to law enforcement and intel agency privacy violations and turn the tide.

Having a fully open mobile phone is good first step which can improve privacy when used with existing mobile networks but its only a first step. Alternative networks (e.g., WiFi mesh and open femtocell networks) are an obvious direction for improvement but their build out is problematic. Another way is to enable alternative communications that either need no infrastructure (think amateur radio) or covertly utilize existing commercial services (I mentioned pagers in my last post). The mobile phones would offer excellent user interfaces and processing the element of an affordable and flexible software radio transceiver.

I delivered a paper last October regarding the reasons such alternatives are needed, reviewed recent developments and offered some practical directions for future work (some of which I am pursuing):

http://www.paralelnipolis.cz/pp-congress-2014/WWPP.pdf

Feedback from you and readers of this list is kindly sought.

WW