Warrant Canaries

Stephen D. Williams sdw at lig.net
Wed Apr 1 13:27:34 PDT 2015

On 4/1/15 10:34 AM, Lodewijk andré de la porte wrote:

>     Since the First Amendment is strained here, reasonable people could conclude that the conflicting law is unconstitutional.
>     That could lead to a sense of responsibility to do the right thing.
>

> What's this First Amendment thing that I have absolutely no protection from? Oh, right, something American! Geez, don't you
> Americans realize the constitution is something of a moral code that you should uphold in law and practice, with force (hint:
> guns, militia's) if need be?
>
> Anyway, again, unless you're one of the fortuitous/doomed 322 million people that have a US citizenship this grants NO PROTECTION
> AT ALL EVER. Not even when in the US or whilst using a US service. FISA and "National Security Letters" prove the threadbare legal
> holdfasts snapped ages ago anyway. I would swear there was something compelling the people to revolt when the government acts
> against the people/the public's interests, but I cannot find it now. Filter bubble or a lively imagination, who knows what to blame.

If you are inside the US, you do have full protection of US laws, including the First Amendment, although there are some specific
exceptions.  Outside the US, it varies.  Ideally, a local law provides similar protection.  US companies will operate as if you do
have the same rights, so in some sense and range of situations, the rights extend to everyone globally.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/2001/09/do_noncitizens_have_constitutional_rights.html

Somebody else wrote:

>     works... IF EVERYONE cooperates to flaunt, flaut, and disregard it.
>     Could you IMAGINE the gubmint trying to take every internet provider and
>     major website operating in the US to court?
>     Shut down Twitter and Yahoo!'s US ops?
>     Really!
>

> Have you heard of "punitive punishment"? Do you know the percentage of people breaking the Computer Fraud Act? What about
> Copyright? How many people have been selectively convicted of drug use? (bonus points for racial profiling!)
>
> Simply put: oh no, you are so, so very wrong.
>
>     But then, one simply doesn't do business in Australia that needs warrant
>     canaries. What am I missing?
>

> Uhh.. What?...

sdw