lowRISC tagged memory preview release

Eugen Leitl eugen@leitl.org
Tue Apr 14 06:33:28 PDT 2015

http://www.lowrisc.org/blog/2015/04/lowrisc-tagged-memory-preview-release/

lowRISC tagged memory preview release

Monday, April 13, 2015

We’re pleased to announce the first lowRISC preview release,
demonstrating support for tagged memory as described in our memo. Our
ambition with lowRISC is to provide an open-source System-on-Chip platform
for others to build on, along with low-cost development boards featuring a
reference implementation. Although there’s more work to be done on the
tagged memory implementation, now seemed a good time to document what
we’ve done in order for the wider community to take a look. Please see
our full tutorial which describes in some detail the changes we’ve made
to the Berkeley Rocket core, as well as how you can build and try it out for
yourself (either in simulation, or on an FPGA). We’ve gone to some effort
to produce this documentation, both to document our work, and to share our
experiences building upon the Berkeley RISC-V code releases in the hopes
they’ll be useful to other groups.

The initial motivation for tagged memory was to prevent control-flow
hijacking attacks, though there are a range of other potential uses including
fine-grained memory synchronisation, garbage collection, and debug tools.

Please note that the instructions used to manipulate tagged memory in this
release (ltag and stag) are only temporary and chosen simply because they
require minimal changes to the core pipeline. Future work will include
exploring better ISA support, collecting performance numbers across a range
of tagged memory uses and tuning the tag cache. We are also working on
developing an ‘untethered’ version of the SoC with the necessary
peripherals integrated for standalone operation.

If you’ve visited lowrisc.org before, you’ll have noticed we’ve
changed a few things around. Keep an eye on this blog (and its RSS feed) to
keep an eye on developments - we expect to be updating at least every couple
of weeks. We’re very grateful to the RISC-V team at Berkeley for all
their support and guidance. A large portion of the credit for this initial
code release goes to Wei Song, who’s been working tirelessly on the HDL
implementation.