Fwd: A crowdfunding campaign to build a free baseband

Blibbet blibbet@gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 11:30:45 PDT 2015

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:     A crowdfunding campaign to build a free baseband
Date:     Mon, 6 Apr 2015 05:41:54 GMT
From:     Spacefalcon the Outlaw <falcon@ivan.Harhan.ORG>
To:     replicant@lists.osuosl.org

Hello free phone lovers,

As we all know, the baseband/modem/radio processor is the big bone in
our collective throat: it is the most closed and proprietary part of
every currently available phone, no matter how free the rest of the
phone might be.

Well, without beating further around the bush, I just started a
crowdfunding campaign on Indiegogo seeking to change this bleak
baseband situation:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/free-software-cellular-baseband

My project seeks to solve the problem of the closed and proprietary
baseband by producing a GSM modem module that will run 100% free
firmware.  And furthermore, I seek to produce such a free baseband not
by creating it from scratch, but by re-creating one that was already
made by someone else some years ago and later discontinued.  Please
read the campaign page for the full details.

Thanks for reading,
SF