Re: ‘Fake’ cellphone towers found in U.S.

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 01:30:40 PDT 2014

On 9/2/14, Cathal Garvey <cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me> wrote:
> ..based on the word of a company that markets "firewalled baseband
> phones" and cites personal research in undisclosed locations instead of
> releasing actual data.
>
> Don't get me wrong, basebands are probably swiss cheese and they are
> often (or usually?) masters to the mobile OS.

this is totally marketing oriented, as the traditional "baseband"
attack is arbitrary code execution within the baseband processor
embedded system rather than opportunistic advantage of inherent
signaling and authentication weaknesses in protocol implementations.

the latter can be "weaponized" by nearly anyone with a full duplex
SDR. the former is usually accomplished with insider access or
painstaking expertise - the opposite of accessible.

if you read between the lines you can see how they classify any tower
aggressively peering stations in range as "baseband intercept attack"
for their maximal PR purposing.

best regards,