More on the tor scam

Ted Smith tedks at riseup.net
Thu Sep 18 14:18:07 PDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-09-18 at 16:01 -0400, x50 at fastmail.fm wrote:
> I'd recommend the blog post about this, if you haven't seen it already:
>
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-security-advisory-relay-early-traffic-confirmation-attack
>
> It should answer some of your questions. I have only seen speculation on
> why the talk was cancelled.

The talk was almost certainly canceled because it contained admissions
of violating federal wiretapping laws, which is what happens if you
de-anonymize Tor users in the wild.

This is a legally gray area in theory, but I think in practice it would
never be judged in favor of the defendant, and so the CMU legal team
pulled the talk to avoid exposing themselves to liability.

--
Sent from Ubuntu