FBI demands new powers to hack into computers and carry out surveillance

Alfie John alfiej at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 29 20:22:17 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014, at 01:34 PM, Alfie John wrote:
> I, for one, welcome our new surveillance overlords /s

And now this just came through my feeds:

  http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/malcolm-turnbull-introduces-legislation-for-metadata-retention-scheme-20141030-11e101.html

  "A new federal government scheme requiring telecommunications
  companies to store customer records for two years could "absolutely"
  be used to target the illicit downloading of movies or music,
  according to the Australian Federal Police commissioner."

I don't get it. The Four Horsemen of the Infocalypse are already using
Tails and Tor so this is not going to affect them. All this will do is
slowly push the general populace using them as well. Is the government
shooting their own intelligence agencies in the foot by helping more and
more people get onto the Cyphernet?

Alfie

--
  Alfie John