Of Sealand, corp, and country [was: nation-state]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 15:38:24 PDT 2014

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 6:57 AM, Lodewijk andré de la porte
<l at odewijk.nl> wrote:
> On Oct 20, 2014 3:03 AM, "grarpamp" <grarpamp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM, Alfie John <alfiej at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>> >
>> > Although not a multinational, The Pirate Bay did try to buy Sealand.
>>
>> Sealand is only as unique as the price Bates wants (it's also probably
>> structurally unsound after taking an ocean beating for 70yrs)...
>> How much would it cost to build, float and sink your own concrete silo?
>> Who's researching locations of low depth found beyond 3-12+nm/EEZ
>> in international waters?
>> How does this cost compare to building your own acres of floating
>> pontoon, barge, boat, or raft?
>> And who sayeth hoisting your flag does not make you a country be?
>
> The UN has demands on what makes a nation. It requires land.

Is not the aim to demonstrate that by hoisting your flag wherever
that you challenge that definition and fuxor their plans? At least
to the extent that you force them to hypocritically behave in an
unfair or ungentlemanly manner against you, or declare war on you.
All of which serves to support your legitimacy. After all, if you
are 'not' a 'something' as they say, then they would have no such
interest in you at all.

> I'm not sure if
> Sealand qualifies, but I think it's overhyped.

It itself is overhyped in media (RedBull), but the idea of challenge
and independance it represents is buried as too troublesome to
publish lest people get ideas.

> There's plenty of island nations, why not buy one of them? If you agree to
> donate shares to the government they might be all ears.

It's not a purchase if you leave rights to the existing govt. That's called
a lease. Leasees always lose in the end. Look at Hong Kong.

> You could band together with some other corporations if you don't have the
> capital/value.

Dilutes your interests.

> Have to wonder what's the point though. Save tax? ... Liberty?

Independance, set your own rules, the ability to generally say fuck off
and deal with whoever you wish to deal with however. aka: DPRK,
Venezuela, Iran, China, Cuba. It's not supposed to be easy.

Being so closely tied to Britain, Sealand is probably not nearly as clear
a situation as floating a square kilometer platform hundreds of km from
any coast with many countries would be. Say off northern SouthAm,
southeast Asia, west Africa.