GamerGate

Griffin Boyce griffin at cryptolab.net
Sun Oct 26 19:48:20 PDT 2014

Dāvis Mosāns wrote:
> Anyway GamerGate is really complex issue and it's not only
> about journalism. My suggestion would be, look here

   If gamergaters spent half as much time trying to fix systemic problems
that they claim to care about as they do correcting "misconceptions"
about gamergate, I *might* start to take them seriously.

   Want to fix games journalism?  Why not start with the large
corporations that bribe their way into getting good reviews at large
publications that lead to millions of dollars in sales.  Target EA, who
just this week went to court to defend against a class-action lawsuit
filed by gamers.  While the court found in their favor, they *also*
determined that the statements put out by EA were "puffery" and did not
reflect reality.  How will this impact the industry going forward?  Does
#GamerGate bother having an opinion on this?

   Targeting female indie developers is complete weaksauce.  And the fact
that this comprises the vast majority of #GamerGate's "activism" proves
the allegation that it's filled with whiny man-babies.

> And note, that, it's not only gamers who support GamerGate, but
> also game developers, including females (see #NotYourShield).

   You know what I *don't* care about?  People I don't know who
supposedly shagged other people I don't know.  No one whose opinion
matters cares about this hypothetical scandal.  It's all a
pseudo-intellectual circlejerk.

   You either care about journalistic ethics enough to target large
corporations and key players, or you're just fucking around.  Seriously.
  This is as true for you (yes, you personally) as it is for the #NSA
#GCHQ crowd.

~Griffin