Of Sealand, corp, and country [was: nation-state]

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Thu Oct 23 03:36:56 PDT 2014

 > forced everyone in my family to use eco stuff (I'm pretty sure
 > they are still throwing away all trash unsegregated when I'm not
 > looking though).

You'll be disappointed to hear that recycling is largely irrelevant on
the global scale, and was favoured by green parties as a policy only
because it gets voters involved and makes them feel important to the
solution. Same goes for changing to efficient lightbulbs; it's helpful,
but practically negligible compared to your daily commute, your choice
of diet, your insulation, etcetera.

In the end, industry, and the consumer products we buy from it that fuel
its bad behaviour, is far worse for the environment than piffling things
like bulbs and recycling. Buying less waste is better than segregating it.

What we need is energy decline, and what that means is travelling less,
buying less, burning less. Our energy should come from nuclear, not
coal. Our buildings shouldn't be made from concrete. Our diets should
use less land; less meat, and higher yields (go-go-gmo!). Our products
should last longer and do more (cf. Bunnie's concept of "heirloom
laptops"), instead of doing less faster and then breaking and getting
"recycled" by impoverished kids in bangladesh.

It's a totally systemic problem, and bullying people into just recycling
makes them think that they've done their part, and the rest is up to the
next worst person. They need to understand that shutting down the coal
plant in their city would do more good all-round than if everyone in the
city recycled everything they bought.