Will the Earth burn? Events to post-whatever... [was: Sealand]

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 17:11:36 PDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Cathal Garvey:
> Will the earth burn? No, that's an unlikely outcome. Venus is Venus because
> it never developed life. Will the Earth burn *us*? Maybe. Totally plausible
> possibility, though still unlikely. Will the Earth burn the ecosystems that
> civilisation (rather than humanity, per se) depends on? At this rate,
> probably.

None of the above. As rate of population, resource consumption and
toxification is faster than restoration, and war is still easier in DNA
than cooperation... humanity will burn the ecosystems humanity
depends on, or burn itself. And likely far sooner than the Earth
gets around to the next of any of its own human belching cycles [1].

[1] You know, on the scale of 10k to millions of years or more...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_event
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_catastrophic_risks

> We have fallbacks; go all-in on solar & nuclear for energy and biotech for
> efficient, lower impact food/med production, and use nuclear/biotech to cook
> up some hyperefficient carbon-capture system to try and roll back as much as
> we can.

All mere delay tactics without fixing this and other things to
replacement-rate first...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_growth

> Anyways, just to say doom and gloom is rarely useful, but ostrich-heads are
> worse than useless.

Rarely useful? But it's so much gnarly fun ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_time#See_also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future_of_the_Earth#See_also

> As to on/off topic-ness, it's off topic. But this list has seen people
> bitching about who is and isn't a real native American, so I find this at
> least engaging and interesting.

cpunks are offtopic, engaging and interesting.

> On 24/10/14 14:40, dan at geer.org wrote:
>> is reasonable to imagine that some excursions have a phase
>> where the feedback is positive and thus if the temp heads
>> either north or south its velociity will, for natural reasons,
>> accelerate as the excursion grows more extreme.  That implies
>> that the present time is an unstable equilibrium, thus our
>> imapct, whatever it is, seems likely to be an initiator or
>> a potentiator but not a cause in the classical sense of,
>> say, a dose-response curve.
>>
>> Put differently, I don't believe that we (humans) can push
>> the climate to a place it has not been before, but we can
>> change the clock.

The only clock that matters is the time till you're off the rock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstellar_travel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warp_drive#External_links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_cultural_impact_of_extraterrestrial_contact

Yes, I'm a whore, beam me up some btc: