GamerGate

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Mon Oct 27 03:11:09 PDT 2014

 >    Targeting female indie developers is complete weaksauce.  And the
 > fact that this comprises the vast majority of #GamerGate's "activism"
 > proves the allegation that it's filled with whiny man-babies.

Not only man-babies, but principally man-babies.

 >> And note, that, it's not only gamers who support GamerGate, but
 >> also game developers, including females (see #NotYourShield).
 >
 >    You know what I *don't* care about?  People I don't know who
 > supposedly shagged other people I don't know.

Boom.

So, a 'movement' that claims to want "journalistic integrity", which
absent press censorship means "self regulation", can't be bothered
policing its own ranks to stop misogynistic slander and death-threats.
How many "Gamergaters" spend time chasing others for doxxing,
threatening and slandering women in technology? As many as actually take
part in these acts? I doubt it, and I see no evidence of such
self-policing at a meaningful scale.

I'm sure there are honest, decent people using the "Gamergate" flag to
call for something-something, but the fact that they're using that flag
after it's been so thoroughly dragged through the muck *by other
gamergaters* shows that they are content to accept misogyny in exchange
for trending status on Twitter, rather than forking what's become more
of a *bowel* movement into something with a measure of the integrity
they claim to demand of others.

As often, Chris Straub summed it up well (Warning: Allegory):
http://chainsawsuit.com/comic/2014/10/15/the-perfect-crime/