CITIZENFOUR

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Fri Oct 24 17:22:34 PDT 2014

This John Young corrects a data point: 97% of some 59,000
Snowden documents have not been released or even less
percentage if the DoD count of 1.7 million is used. This confirms
that those documents which have been released are misleading
by omission, so cherry-picked and dramatized that understanding
of them is most likely false, biased, distorted, more like narrative
fiction (spy stories, breaking news) than credible evidence. It
certainly confirms that media-legal fiction is the intention of the
distributors, publicity and legal teams rather than allow full
access for widely-based, for ordinary and specialized readers
to assay the collection through a free public access methodology.
(Greenwald's book states that at one point he and Poitras
considered setting up a public web for that purpose, maybe
apochryphal to gloss the slow drip method adopted.)

Perhaps the full access will come about after sacred cow
of profitability and celebrity has been milked, or it may be
that full access has been granted in confidence to skilled
readers in the black arts of comsec, infosec and natsec.

To date, there has been slim pickings of technologically
useful material short-shrifted in favor of lurid civil liberties
scandals which the spies can easily massage into messages
of of course we do that. Except for a tranche of techno
material covered by Jacob Appelbaum at 30C3, nearly
all the rest is simple-minded promotional material with
dollops of legal shenanigans of the sort Greenwald and
journalists can handle comfortably.

A few days ago Bruce Schneier blogged that he had
been cut off from access to the Snowden material
and Matthew Green said he had been shown only a
few documents for comment. WaPo has had a techie
advising Barton Gellman. That's pretty much it for
coverage of technical material needed to devise
countermeasures, that is, virtually none at all.

Hoopla has prevailed in news coverage and books, mostly
of it valorizing journalists and even Snowden in stock journalist
source noble cariacture, and it looks as though Poitras
and Hollywood will continue the practice. What an
ethical shame, what criminality of monetization ($250M and
rising) placed above public protection. Snowden is being
degraded as a poster child for this venality and ambition.
Trapped in a bubble of media, legal and diplomatic fanfare.
A fate suffered by Assange, Manning and a slew of others
some paraded from forum to forum as entourage for the
Snowden-streaming video circus acts like that hosted
by The New Yorker at the NY Film Festival and now
Poitras melodramatic confabulation positioning Greenwald
as Machiavelli to the Prince Edward of Snowden.