Fwd: [tor-talk] Tor in the media - request for unsung positive narratives

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Thu Oct 2 00:14:47 PDT 2014

I don't mind saying publicly that I use Tor to access websites censored
in Ireland; The Pirate Bay, chiefly. I upload some of my own work (3D
printable models, most recently) and I also find and download Free
Culture stuff from well seeded torrents.

Certainly, it's a trivial use of Tor, and I use it for other stuff too.
But it's easily forgettable that one of Tor's primary uses is
circumventing censorship, and censorship is alive and well in Ireland
thanks to former junior minister Sean Sherlock's "Irish SOPA".

It's important not to forget i2p when discussing darknets, and I see
many more positive uses of i2p than Tor hidden services; straightforward
social networks, search engines, etcetera. The developers curate a
simple list of "positive" eepsites for the preinstalled router, so it's
got a good community spirit. I've used it for email, microstatus and a
few other things besides, and there's a lot more diversity of hidden
services by other users because of the ease of setting hidden services
up (indeed, every user has one preconfigured by default).

--
Twitter: @onetruecathal, @formabiolabs
Phone: +353876363185