Radical-safest TLDs in 2007

Douglas Lucas dal at riseup.net
Wed Oct 1 15:54:26 PDT 2014

On 10/01/2014 01:57 PM, rysiek wrote:
> Dnia poniedziałek, 29 września 2014 09:08:48 Douglas Lucas pisze:
>> I have a historical question. In 2007, anywhere from January to
>> September, what TLDs were regarded as the most pirate-friendly or
>> journalism-friendly or safest from takedowns of whatever stripe, e.g.
>> the sort of DHS DMCA takedowns we have now, etc.?
>
> Might I enquire what could possibly the reason to ask such a question?

I am writing a short story. There is a scene set in 2007, roughly
October. Two characters disagree on what TLD to get to provide material
to others. One wants a .com to sell the stuff. The other wants the most
non-capitalist, pro-freedom TLD possible. The difference characterizes
the two individuals.

For credibility: I attended @ClarionWest Writers Workshop in 2008, which
is for writers of science fiction and fantasy. (To verify: The Workshop
follows me, @DouglasLucas, on Twitter, and I wrote a series of blog
posts about my six weeks there
http://www.douglaslucas.com/blog/tag/clarion-west-2008/ I'm including
more and more cyberpunk/cypherpunk elements in my fiction. Probably
because my life has been altered over the course of getting more into
FLOSS and writing journalism pieces as part of an investigative
partnership with WikiLeaks, as you can see here:
http://douglaslucas.com/nonfiction