Legality of warrant canaries

Griffin Boyce griffin@cryptolab.net
Fri Oct 17 11:06:48 PDT 2014

Hey all,

   There's been a lot of discussion around warrant canaries lately, and I
just want to pipe in with my experience.

   Back in 2012, I talked to my attorney about setting up a warrant
canary or a dead man's switch -- which he pointed out would have the
same legal repercussions as just releasing the gagged warrant/NSL.  Why?
  Because they are frequently phrased in such a way that if you do or
fail to do a thing to somehow make it known, then you've violated the
order.  You're in just as much trouble if you take out a billboard or
tweet a scan of the order or use pantomime or comment out a warrant
canary.

   The only difference is that there *might* be plausible deniability if
you tell your partner "something happened at work today and I can't tell
you what it is" [1], whereas you have *no* ability to deny anything if
you remove a publicized warrant canary from a website.  I'm not saying
don't do it, but maybe talk to a lawyer first.

~Griffin

[1]
http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/what-its-like-to-get-a-national-security-letter

--
"I believe that usability is a security concern; systems that do
not pay close attention to the human interaction factors involved