Drones, Rifles, Fascism (Was: POTUS jammin')

rysiek rysiek at hackerspace.pl
Thu Nov 27 15:34:50 PST 2014

Dnia czwartek, 27 listopada 2014 22:51:27 Cathal Garvey pisze:
> The word you're looking for is "fascist". The Nazis were one particular
> expression and culture of fascist, by no means the only one and
> certainly not the last.

+1

> I happen to disagree with the supposed primacy of Godwin's Law because
> the Nazis are a cultural touchstone on the horrors of fascism in
> practice, a thing we should all remain vigilant upon.

Absolutely. Problem is, *calling* something fascism/nazism does not make it
so, and calling too many things this makes it "a boy that cried wolf" kind of
story.

There are legitimate grievances towards any government, and I happen to be
particularly critical of the US government (yes, to a large extent I *would*
call it fascist, due to <insert-a-branch>-industrial-complex), but I choose
not to use that particular word and instead try to work on the merits of the
situation.

Using "nazi"/"fascism" card is easy, emotionally charged, usually unnecessary,
and instead of moving the discussion forward -- breaks it into two entrenched
camps.

This is precisely why I find Godwin's Law so useful. It allows people to
easily counter such a demagoguery and bring the discussion back to the merits
-- as exemplified by this very thread (and, in particular, your e-mail),
actually. :)

--
Pozdr
rysiek