Whatsapp open source

Cathal (Phone) cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Wed Nov 19 01:31:49 PST 2014

Though bear in mind that if Moxie had all code contributors assign copyright to him, then he has the right to waive the GPL when using that code with closed partners. Only if contributors keep their rights and publish in GPL do you iron-clad the GPL into the codebase, because now to sidestep your commitment to freedom you must go back and re-implement all the code whose copyright belongs to a contributor.

So, GPL or no, there is scope for Moxie to renege and offer alternate licensing on OWS code to WhatsApp, but only if contributor code is either excised or copyright transferred.