Doing HTTPS everywhere in the .gov space

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Tue Nov 18 11:23:10 PST 2014

> > I meant USGOV protects USGOV. (Although not USGOV employees per se...)
> > Cybersecurity wise USGOV probably doesn't/hardly need HTTPS,
> > depending on the abilities of adversaries.
>
>         Of course. US govt using https in their stupid propaganda
>         websites is irrelant. What is weird is that some US govt
>         employee bothered to advertise it here. Is he clueless?
>         Was he trolling?

I wasn't trolling. I've been a member of this list, and paying close
attention to the field, since well before I joined the US government (which
happened back in May).

Before this, I worked for 5 years at a relatively adversarial non-profit
group focused on government transparency, called the Sunlight Foundation.

I also did personal work on furthering encryption and drawing attention to
government surveillance:

https://konklone.com/post/switch-to-https-now-for-free
https://konklone.com/post/the-door-to-the-fisa-court
https://twitter.com/fisacourt

I still work on them, and stuff like it, in my personal capacity. I'm on
the record in all kinds of places, in my personal capacity, supporting what
Edward Snowden did and pushing for technical changes and policy reform to
curtail surveillance.

I completely expect (and find welcome and appropriate) high levels of
skepticism for anything the US government does. All I can tell you is where
I'm coming from, and the actions my team is taking.

In my government capacity, when https://letsencrypt.org is operational next
year, I hope to get as many .gov domains to use their certificates as I can.

-- Eric

--
konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>