Fwd: [liberationtech] XMPP object encryption at IETF about to die...

odinn odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Tue Nov 11 17:57:57 PST 2014

Lack of interest and engagement????

Maybe I'm thinking of different things here, but OTR is part and
parcel of how Adium works, and cypherpunks has an OTR plugin for Pidgin.

And these tools are very widely used by those who utilize XMPP option
through either Adium or Pidgin with OTR!  There's no lack of interest
in it.

As an aside:

You can use https://tox.im with Pidgin or Adium:
1) https://lilithlela.cyberguerrilla.org/?p=3060
2) https://wiki.tox.im/Tox_Pidgin_Protocol_Plugin
3) https://wiki.tox.im/Adium_Tox_Plugin

So... getting to my question:

Griffin, by lack of interest and engagement, do you mean that more
people need to comment on tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miller-xmpp-e2e in
order for it to move forward, or... something else?

And if our comments in support of this object-encryption standard are
needed, to who should they be best directed for greatest effect?

Griffin Boyce:
> FYI:
>

> -------- Original Message -------- From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall
> <joe at cdt.org> Sent: November 11, 2014 7:18:49 PM EST To:
> liberationtech <liberationtech at lists.stanford.edu> Subject:
> [liberationtech] XMPP object encryption at IETF about to die...
>
> I'm here at IETF 91 hanging with all the protocol nerds. I was
> talking to someone about OTR and they pointed out that the
> object-encryption standard for XMPP that has been put forward is
> about to die due to lack of interest and engagement:
>
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-miller-xmpp-e2e
>
> Has anyone seen this and thinks it could be a good thing to
> standardize? I realize it's a subset of what OTR provides but I'm
> wondering if this could be something we as a community might want
> to work with in this kind of standards body.
>
> Any e2e-has-a-posse folks have an interest here or is
> standardization not an interest or desire?
>
> best, Joe

- --
http://abis.io ~
"a protocol concept to enable decentralization
and expansion of a giving economy, and a new social good"
https://keybase.io/odinn