RedPhone Removed from Google Play Store

odinn odinn.cyberguerrilla at riseup.net
Tue Nov 11 17:49:06 PST 2014

Well, not trying to be blunt about it, but maybe the reason why Moxie
decided to build apps for Android, is because Android tipped over 80
percent market share before even 2014, and who wouldn't want to try to
provide good privacy for that large of a userbase?  or maybe it is
some other reason, maybe you could ask Moxie, who I've copied on this.
 But with that said, with that many users, good apps that provide
people with choices as to how to protect their information are necessary.

By the way, I use RedPhone and TextSecure, and I recommend them to
others. I'm aware of the issues that have arisen in connection with
analyses of TextSecure and CyanogenMod (and the issues that people
raise with Android), but I still think that RedPhone and TextSecure
are some of the best things out there particularly when compared to
many other similar apps on the market.

Really these kind of things (Google Play's censorship of Adblockplus
and disconnectme in the past, as examples, and Google pulling RedPhone
off Play, more recently) make it clear though that you can't have
Google as your friend for long and if you're going to put an app out
it should be downloadable from your project site, downloadable from
github, and accessible (for mobile apps / droid) via
 https://f-droid.org/ as well.

Don't you dare tell me people should go get an iPhone (yes, Signal is
available for iPhone, which is surely good for the many iPhone users,
and that's a good thing) in light of Apple's horrific practices such
as, but not limited to, this:
http://blog.crackpassword.com/2014/06/breaking-into-icloud-no-password-required/#more-2597
or this (re.: Yosemite and iCloud):
http://datavibe.net/~sneak/20141023/wtf-icloud/
etc.

Lodewijk andré de la porte:
> I'm still confused as to why Moxxie decided to build apps for
> Android. Android is a really bad environment, security wise. The
> securephone (or whatever it's called) did very little to assuage
> worries. The stack is way too tall! The attack surface is *huge*.
> Then through the Google Store, which is a problem too. Maybe Moxxie
> decided that any threat model that include an adversarial Google
> will result in immediate loss, thus decided that Google was his
> friend?

- --
http://abis.io ~
"a protocol concept to enable decentralization
and expansion of a giving economy, and a new social good"
https://keybase.io/odinn