BitLocker, OneDrive, PRISM

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Wed Nov 5 05:01:25 PST 2014

I stopped being surprised about stuff like this. Silicon Valley exists to
provide technological supremacy and/or hoard private information through
temptation rather than force.

To clarify: the approach currently employed by the NSA is funding and
otherwise supporting and coordinating subverted or subvertable
technological companies. The companies will then deliver a product with
superior fitness for whever purpose it pertains to serve. People will use
the product for those features, forgetting or not knowing it also
obliberates their privacy and leaks all information to the TLA's. The
American government thusly provides a platform for the enhancement of
technology, the economy and the national security. Overall, pretty damn
good deal.

It's unlikely that Google rules the NSA or vise versa. Most likely the
collossus goes where the collossus goes, and the NSA steals through it's
massive infrastructure like lice in it's pelt. Unlike lice, the NSA is
entirely symbiotic with Google. They excert force, mutually, for control,
but so long as people use Google, Google will collect and the NSA will see.
The same applies to every other tech startup out there.

Note that "compliance" can be subtle. It can be a National Security Letter
to key individuals, a janitor or a CEO, or it can be an undetectable
exploit in a router. It can be an undercover agent that came upon good
knowledge of how to achieve a key position. Most likely a wealth of methods
is used simultaniously, none admitted and without mutual knowledge of
activities. If not, dear NSA, please take this as a humble recommendation.

So, does it surprise me that through incompetence, complience, negligence,
malintend or all of the above, this happened? Nah. Tell me once USGOV
starts jailing people for these slights. Being too obvious about it should
be punished, don't you think?