WhisperSystems + WhatsApp

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 01:07:36 PST 2014

On 11/19/14, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
> Have you heard of the phrase "harm reduction"?  You can't solve a
> social/technical problem by insisting that only perfect solutions are
> acceptable.  You must provide incremental solutions that can be part of
> a broad based move from the horrible place where we are now, towards a
> more safe future.

i used to agree with this, and then i realized this is bad advice if
incremental improvements are resulting in less security over time.

said another way, if you are currently falling behind quickly, by not
moving, then moving ahead at a walk just means you fail less soon than
others.

everyone ends up in fail, however.

> I mean, *you* can do whatever you want, but users are going to ignore
> solutions that don't connect to where they are today.  "Incremental
> steps with continuous improvement" is a model for advice that actually
> works in improving outcomes for real populations.  "Burn everything to
> the ground and start over" is a model for advice that lets activists
> maintain ideological purity without dirtying their hands with actual
> people's actual problems.

i think this is only true if the magnitude of broken and incompetent
crushes you into inaction.

if instead it spurs you to build, for years, on something of a solid
base, then criticism must be deferred until that base is put to the
test.

of course, my time spent writing rebuttal subtracted from the time
best applied proving or denying in practice, arm chair theory inviting
as it is...

best regards,