Drones, Rifles, Fascism (Was: POTUS jammin')

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Thu Nov 27 14:51:27 PST 2014

The word you're looking for is "fascist". The Nazis were one particular
expression and culture of fascist, by no means the only one and
certainly not the last.

I happen to disagree with the supposed primacy of Godwin's Law because
the Nazis are a cultural touchstone on the horrors of fascism in
practice, a thing we should all remain vigilant upon. A friend pointed
out to me that more people have died of fascism than gun crime, and that
(until recently) civil gun ownership was a good preventative measure
against fascism.

I was never against small arms ownership per se, but it put the argument
for civil ownership of rifles in perspective for me. With Drones
everywhere these days, I don't think rifles matter anymore, though; so
it's moot as far as I'm concerned.

Not being a violent person by nature, I'd like to think that our future
solutions against fascism are social and network-based, but there's room
to discuss whether civil access to drones and other automated weapons
will play a role against fascist uprisings; if the Rifle was the
standard of anti-fascism in the past, is the drone the standard now? Or
is it the ubiquitous camera? I'd rather think the latter, but cameras
don't seem to stop militarised "police" from assaulting civilians, they
just cover their badges and storm-trooper onwards*.

In the ideal case, we find a way to undermine this violence. But, when
the fascists come to round up their subject of persecution du jour, I do
believe those people should be entitled to self defence.

Just some evening thoughts, sorry.

*It was only when observing the behaviour of US/UK police towards
civilians, particularly the former, that I realised how lucky we are in
Ireland to have an unarmed police force whose title "Garda Siochána"
literally means "Guardians of the Peace". They're prone to ego trips,
sure, but unarmed citizens don't get 10-round clips emptied into them, ever.