[tor-talk] Facebook brute forcing hidden services

edhelas edhelas at movim.eu
Sun Nov 2 03:19:24 PST 2014

I can resume this fragmentation issue by a simple sentence that I'm
saying more and more these days : "If you have a problem, do not write
an API, write a protocol".

The social federation protocol is already here : it's XMPP. And yes it
can support everything a social network has to offer (feeds,
subscriptions, profiles, contact list…). There is already millions of
users on the XMPP network, and you can easily find several clients on
all the plateforms for it.

I'm working since 2008 on the Movim project (https://movim.eu/), to
build a full, good looking, "decentralized" (federated) and open source
social network on XMPP. And believe me, yes it's possible.

I like the link that the guy made in the presentation with Firefox. Why
Firefox surpassed IE ? Because they just choose to implement the W3C
standards and try to improve it (and they offer some nice features too).

Diaspora, GNU Social, Friendica are not trying to do that, they create
their own "proprietary" protocol to talk between each other and after
that face the same issues than all the others network : "Hey, we are
not compatibles ! Lets create an API and the other networks will be
compatible with us".

So keep calm and implement XMPP ;)

Tim