[tor-talk] Facebook brute forcing hidden services

tigrutigru at gmail.com tigrutigru at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 18:17:50 PDT 2014

I've been to FSCONS today session: "Blurry line between private service and public infrastructure"
covering a problem with decentralised, federated services and platforms which can be used as an alternative to FB.

There are many (Diaspora, Frendica, GNU social etc) , but use incompatible protocols, making it hard for users to choose, and fragmenting the community, making it look weak and small. Another problem is that most of them don't have client API's and do have a sorry-looking interface.

However, if those platforms would be compatible and talk to each other - in a session it was called "The Federation", this problem of fragmentation and poor user database is solved.

So far is the most promising solution I heard which can help to get people of Facebook hook, or at least use it when absolutely necessary, not to post your entire life on it.

Most "evil" services we use, just need a decent easy to use functional alternative.

In the actual lecture the federation of decentralised social networks is described from the 28th minute https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R_uvYp3fog4