GamerGate (because censorship is dumb)

Stephen Williams sdw@lig.net
Fri Oct 31 23:30:03 PDT 2014

On 10/29/14, 11:02 AM, Hashem Nasarat wrote:

> On 10/29/2014 12:24 PM, RKN the_PORTABLE wrote:
>> Let me sum up gg in a way that I expect cpunks to understand (but then
>> again, I expected cpunks to have more brain and do better research
>> rather than just go white knighting):
>> "Anti-prism people are not pro privacy. They are pro terrorism and
>> paeodofilia! Snowden is just a racist! He could not cope with changing
>> times and the fact that new president is black so he sold out his
>> country and ran away to homophobic and racist RUSSIA!"
> This analogy is not very useful as USA is also homophobic and racist.

Not really the same at all.  Russia's government is still actively oppressing people in these ways while the US is:

A) Far less homophobic and racist than it used to be.  In some areas, hardly at all.
B) Has gone from the government homophobia hunting people to fire from government jobs in the 1950's to complete legality and
usually legal protection now.
C) The Millennials as a group are not homophobic or racist to any measurable degree.  Remaining pockets are becoming more
isolated and their youth are changing too, as far as anyone can tell.

The whole culture is rapidly changing in many ways.  Music, Internet, Hollywood, legal cases, politicians (because many have
been voted out), etc. have all been changing people's opinions.  The rate of evolution, or at least the rate of maturation of
active cycles has been apparently increasing each year.

Pervasive cell phone video, major cases of corruption and overstepping bounds and tragedy have caused major pull back of
longstanding troublesome trends.

This is how all of this ties into cypherpunks:  Observing how opinions, public sentiment, then enforcement, regulations, and
market options evolve in each of these cycles should be instructive when trying to induce important change.  How can you
position things to improve better outcomes when inflection points happen?

sdw