is truecrypt dead?

Cathal Garvey cathalgarvey at cathalgarvey.me
Sat May 31 06:53:43 PDT 2014

The question is not whether or not you can securely disclose that you
are under NSL. The question is whether you can do so without, when the
word breaks, being in trouble for leaking that information.

So yes, you can establish all sorts of wonderful contraptions that "get
the word out", publicly or privately, on or off-shore, so that the
people outside can disseminate warnings that you've been compromised.
But in the end, the stasi will blame you, and no matter how much
cooked-up legal convolution you wrap yourself in, they will nail you to
a cross.

My view is that engaging in such convolutions serves two
counterproductive ends:
1) It makes it seem as if you acknowledge that you should not be
disclosing the NSL; a Jury, if you were so lucky and were actually
allowed to testify before them in your defence (lol Grand Jury) would be
suspicious of your motives. Why all the cloak-and-dagger? It's easy for
the prosecution to make you seem shady and suspicious for acting in that
way.

2) It delays your disclosure and allows the stasi time and opportunity
to preempt and prevent your disclosure entirely.

Also, @Grarpamp; you're an optimist, clearly. The US may be exhausting
political capital fast, but it has plenty of political capital, and
plenty of economic capital to back that up when it fails. In the end,
they'll get you unless you're big enough to occupy international
attention and get a state-level ally to protect you. The only two people
to even partially escape persecution so far are holed up under the
protection of state-level adversaries of the US, and even they are still
at significant risk.

--
T: @onetruecathal, @IndieBBDNA
P: +353876363185